In the sports world, there is a saying that goes “The play doesn’t care who makes it.” Doesn’t matter if the player is an All-Star or a reserve coming off the bench, the play needs to be made by someone.
Money doesn’t care who makes it either. You don’t need to be Warren Buffett to make money investing. You don’t need to be a millionaire to start a business or side hustle.
The world is huge and the pie can be sliced into millions of pieces. Let’s figure out ways to get ours.
The Money Don’t Care
I was just reminded recently of the awesome opportunities that exist out there if we act on our interests.
One of Mrs. DS’s friends started a little side business while working full time. She had a strong passion for teaching women self defense. As well as firearm safety. She started hosting classes to teach people how to responsibly carry a gun. In no time at all, her business took off like gangbusters and she was able to quit her full time job to focus totally on her business.
She is now the “go to” person for firearm training the area and her classes are constantly booked up. She found a way to make damn good money from doing something she loves.
Here’s another example. Some friends of ours have a son who took a part time job as a teenager while working with bee hives. He had no idea that he would like it enough when he started but he did. The owner took a real liking to him and is offering a partnership if he wants to stay in the business. A business owner before graduating high school…not bad kid!
And how about some of this crazy money people are making with blogs? $100k per month? I don’t know these big earners personally so I’ll take their word for it. Good for them though. They are getting their slice of the pie by doing something they love doing. Our short-term goal is to at least off-set the many nieces and nephews birthday presents throughout the year. Woof. Do those come around too quick.
Take Action And Get The Money
If you want to get something in life, you have to take action. All the thinking and pondering is useless without activity. Need a few pointers? Alrighty then…
1) Leave your ego behind. Starting something from scratch will probably lead to some failures at first. Eat your crap sandwich and get better.
2) Don’t care about what other people think. Care about their feelings. But not their opinion. Remember IQ vs. EQ? Yeah, all that’s important.
3) Try a few things and find out what you might want to get started in. You don’t need to go all in on the first damn thing you think of. What do you absolutely love to do? Find a way to get paid for it.
4) Find somebody to mentor you that has excelled in what you want to do. Reach out, be respectful, and listen up.
5) Be ready to work. Forget happy hour, Monday Night Football, Neflix- heck, give up TV in general and any other time-wasters. You might have to get up early and stay up late. Especially if you are working on a side hustle while still working your day job.
Short and sweet folks: money doesn’t care who makes it. You can be Jeff Bezos or Joe Schmoe, there is plenty of opportunity for all of us to make it out there. How bad do you want it? Are you hungry or are you starving? I can go on all day. Just get it done.